- By supernovamommy
- 2 July, 2012
- Comments Off
Getting Organized for SUMMER!
By Kathryn Warden, The Art of Order, LLC
Summer is finally here! That means it’s time for the all the beach toys, outdoor sports equipment, flip-flops, suntan lotions and all other summer necessities to come out of hiding and add to the clutter in your home. Before the season is in full swing, try implementing some of these quick tips for keeping everything contained and easy to find before you run out the door to enjoy your summer activities.
- Flip-flops are the designated shoes of summer in our households. The only problem is-they end up in big piles by the door. Find a large bin or tin bucket, and place it by the door most used by family members. Then whenever anyone comes inside, they know exactly where to put them.
- Pack a few Ziploc bags and store them in your coat closet or in a basket near the main entrance. One bag could have bug repellant and sunscreen, another could have travel games or activities children can use when hitting the road to a further d destination, or even a bag for first-aid (including band-aids for all those small cuts and scrapes that come with summer vacation.) Make sure you label them so you don’t forget the contents.
- An over -the -door shoe storage bag like this one from The Container Store is also a great option for keeping all those small items right where you can find them. Items that work best are sunglasses, suntan lotion, Chap Stick, sun hats, bug spray, and small outdoor toys like bubbles or sidewalk chalk. This clear one makes it impossible to lose that small tube of SPF 40 ultra lip balm.
- There’s nothing like a big, canvas bag when it comes to organizing swimsuits and pool gear. Keep a large one in your coat closet. Put all dry bathing suits in the bag so you don’t have to go searching for them when you need them. In addition, keep two or three towels and any other pool gear in there as well. That way, you can just grab it and go when you’re ready to go for a dip.
- Since it is summer and outside is the place to be…set up your car in advance to maximize the fun you have outdoors. Keep one or two folding chairs in your trunk, along with a canvas or plastic bin. Keep a bottle of sunscreen and bug spray, a mesh bag with some small sand toys, a towel, and light jackets as well. A large blanket also comes in handy for summer concerts, picnics, or my favorite…..fireworks!
- Set up a bin, basket, or tub for outdoor toys and keep it in the hall closet or near the door. Outdoor chalk, bubbles and other outdoor toys will be easy to find for everyone. Also, this wire barrel from The Container Store (or even a clean new garbage can) are great to store summer sports equipment such as basketballs or tennis rackets.
- Summer is a great time to start making healthier choices. Check out this great snack box idea from Real Simple. Grab and go individually packaged healthy snacks such as cut fruits and veggies, cheese sticks, and yogurt make it easy for children to make healthy choices. If you can get them into the routine this summer, this same concept can be used way into the school year while planning school lunches or after school snacks.
By following these tips, I hope you will enjoy the relaxing days of summer a little more.
Have a fun and safe summer!
Kathryn Warden is the owner of The Art of Order, LLC and has been helping local moms in the Washington DC area get organized for over five years. She specializes in kitchens, closets, paper filing, and craft/hobby areas.